Owners of bars, taverns, and pubs invest a great deal of both money and time into their establishments. Without sufficient protection, all that’s invested in an establishment could be lost in a single incident. Bar insurance helps protect the hard-earned capital and work that owners invested in establishing their bars, taverns, or pubs from several potential risks.
Bar insurance (also known as tavern insurance) is a type of commercial insurance that’s uniquely designed to meet the insurance needs of bars, taverns, and pubs. Most bar policies are package policies and combine several individual coverages into a single policy.
What does a bar insurance cover?
Bar insurance policies are usually customized for the bar, tavern, or pub’s particular situation. Therefore, policies’ exact coverages will frequently vary. Nonetheless, there are many coverages that policies usually make available as either standard or optional protections. These coverages can be categorized into commercial property and commercial liability coverages.
Commercial property coverages help protect property, inventory, and equipment that a bar, tavern, or pub owns. Some common commercial property coverages that bar policies often offer are:
- Building Coverage - Bar owners that own their building definitely need this so that their place is covered should anything happen.
- Contents Coverage - This covers kitchen equipment, bar equipment, light fixtures, sound systems, seating, and similar items if they get damaged during an incident.
- Food Contamination Coverage - This covers beverages and food that spoil during a disaster.
- Equipment Breakdown Coverage - Emergency repairs of essential equipment will be costly so this can help cover that.
Commercial liability coverages, on the other hand, help protect a bar, tavern, or pub from covered claims and lawsuits that seek compensation for damages or injuries. Some common commercial liability coverages that bar policies frequently make available include:
- General Liability Coverage - This is generally used in many industries to protect businesses from a variety of risks.
- Product Liability Coverage - This can cover incidents in which a food-borne illness is spread by an establishment’s food or beverages.
- Liquor Liability Coverage - Most bars are recommended to have this because this can cover claims that seek compensation for damage or injuries caused by an intoxicated patron that the bar served.
- Assault and Battery Coverage - Like the Liquor Liability Coverage, this can also cover incidents involving patrons. This particularly covers injuries that patrons sustain during a physical confrontation that occured in the bar, tavern, or pub.
- Umbrella Liability Coverage - This is a supplemental form of insurance that may build on the protections offered by other coverages.
Do bar insurance policies have workers’ compensation insurance?
Most bar insurance policies don’t include workers' compensation insurance. Policies normally also don’t provide health or disability insurance. Establishments that need or want these insurance policies normally purchase them separately as stand-alone policies.
Who needs bar insurance?
Bars, taverns, pubs, and similar establishments ought to consider getting bar insurance. Restaurants and nightclubs that serve adult beverages may also need many of the protections that are offered by bar insurance policies. While the coverages that the policies provide can sometimes be purchased separately, getting them through a package policy that’s tailor-made for a drinking establishment is typically easier and more affordable.
How do you compare quotes for bar insurance policies?
Comparing quotes for bar insurance policies involve a lot more than merely checking the different policy premiums. Before you focus on the premiums, the first thing you should do is to determine what coverages your establishment needs. Once you’ve set those needs, find policies that provide those coverages.
Owners of establishments who would like help with this entire process can get in touch with us at CIII Insurance Services. We can help you with each step of the process so that’s it’s easy and efficient!
Our company provides a broad range of Commercial, Employee Benefits, Bar, Restaurant, or Tavern Protection and Management Liability products. We even partner with some of the finest carriers to deliver these products to you at your convenience.